One of the most useful articles I have read lately was about things to do immediately after a linux installation: 18things to install after installing fedora .
I do hve a few things to add though:
1. Install Foxit reader .
2. Install a programmer’s notepad, like jedit or nedit
or for sth more advanced choose between Geany and KomodoEdit.
3. Install Dropbox, by using the instructions by Dropbox itself.
4. Install your windows related stuff via Wine, aka MsOffice, etc.
5. Install mendeley or zotero.
6. Install Thunderbird and maybe GPG.
7. Install Clementine 🙂
After all these you will probably have a workstation good to go 😉